MacNN Forums (https://forums.macnn.com/index.php)
-   iOS Apps (https://forums.macnn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   iOS 15.7 security update (https://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=529092)

Thorzdad Sep 13, 2022 07:43 AM
iOS 15.7 security update
Apple has pushed-out an iOS 15.7 security update, giving my 6s a last hug goodbye.

ghporter Sep 13, 2022 08:42 PM
I only saw it (not pushed) because there were a number of articles online about iOS 16 being available. Nope, but 15.7 was. I upgraded my iPhone 13 Mini last night, and I'll do my wife's Mini and both of our iPads tonight.

I take security updates seriously, so I'm kind of nonplused that I did NOT get the update pushed to me. Is it important enough to put out an update? Then tell people it's there.

Thorzdad Sep 13, 2022 09:30 PM
I think it’s more meant to bring iOS devices (like my 6s) up to security parity with devices that will be able to update to 16 later this week. Which is why it showed up for me but not yourself.

andi*pandi Sep 14, 2022 12:47 PM
Didn't we just do this? but glad they are on top of it.

Thorzdad Sep 14, 2022 01:37 PM
Yeah. About a week ago or so.

ghporter Sep 15, 2022 05:49 PM
The bad guys apparently have access to XCode... And that means they can poke at the underpinnings of that widely used platform for programming MacOS/iOS/iPadOS/etc. apps to find the vulnerabilities.

Unfortunately, that means that, while not quite as porous as Windows used to be, Apple's OSs are going to need fairly frequent security fixes.

And the bad guys are why we can't have nice things. Grr.

Thorzdad Sep 15, 2022 07:06 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by ghporter (Post 4426957)
The bad guys apparently have access to XCode...
Is that a surprise? I mean, I can get XCode, too. It’s not some super-secret tool, afterall. It’s a tool Apple wants people to have.

subego Sep 16, 2022 03:36 PM
I have XCode.

Hans… am I the baddie?

ghporter Sep 19, 2022 08:37 PM
Not everyone who wants to use XCode is a bad guy. But the ones who poke through the code in XCode to find the little flaws and slips that they can exploit ARE bad guys. And some of them use this information to build their own tool boxes to f*#k over Mac users, while others build similar tool boxes to sell to less intelligent but more despicable bad individuals.

That anyone goes to that much trouble to hurt other people on purpose bothers me in general. That they do this crap to people who (by this date) are dependent on technology to do basic things like pay bills and actually work is criminal (obviously) and ethically and morally wrong. It makes me want to wave a magic wand and make each and every one of these "people" the victim of their own crimes, but without any knowledge of how to address the exploit or recover from it.

Yeah, I have some strong feelings about this subject.

Thorzdad Dec 14, 2022 05:49 PM
My 6s got a 15.7.2 security update this week. Impressive.