MacNN Forums (https://forums.macnn.com/index.php)
-   MacNN Lounge (https://forums.macnn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   TV Serieseseseses (https://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=510877)

Doc HM Aug 6, 2019 12:26 PM
Vikings season 5 is quite a different show. More expansive, less Vikingy. More like GoT sans magic etc. Zero Ragnar. Less good.

Thorzdad Aug 6, 2019 04:40 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Doc HM (Post 4408375)
Dead to Me or Dead Like Me?
To Me. It’s on Netflix. Stars Christina Applegate.
I loved Dead Like Me, too.

joyjoy22 Aug 7, 2019 01:10 AM
Just started streaming Lucifer Season 4.

andi*pandi Aug 7, 2019 10:33 AM
Lucifer is good campy fun - and also interesting discussion of free will and responsibility. Oh yeah, and pretty.

Finished Stranger Things 3 last night, enjoyed immensely. A good ending but leaves door open for season 4.

Doc HM Aug 7, 2019 02:23 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by joyjoy22 (Post 4408383)
Just started streaming Lucifer Season 4.
I'm glad Netflix picked it up. It's simple fun. Very campy and altogether stupid but very watchable. I think session 5 is unlikely though.

Lucifers skin colour seems to vary hugely scene to scene. Sometimes he's normal other times he's strangely orange.

andi*pandi Aug 7, 2019 02:37 PM
Lucifer Season 5 on netflix will have 16 episodes. I didn't care for the Netflix cgi of the "devil face" that much, too much melted plastic. It was better as a brief glimpse.

Waragainstsleep Aug 7, 2019 07:28 PM
Season 5 usually means syndication so I feel like it typically has a better chance of renewal than other seasons.

P Aug 8, 2019 08:17 AM
Syndication is, these days, 80-88 episodes or so - meaning 4 seasons of 20+ episodes. Lucifer has had shorter seasons, and anyway if Netflix has bought it, they’re not interested in more syndication revenue. They want to keep it on their service forever.

Doc HM Aug 8, 2019 01:50 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by andi*pandi (Post 4408384)
A good ending but leaves door open for season 4.
Never in the history of TV has a show been more open for season 4.

Waragainstsleep Aug 8, 2019 07:03 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by P (Post 4408415)
Syndication is, these days, 80-88 episodes or so - meaning 4 seasons of 20+ episodes. Lucifer has had shorter seasons, and anyway if Netflix has bought it, they’re not interested in more syndication revenue. They want to keep it on their service forever.
I'm not sure how it works with who retains the rights when shows switch provider like that. Many shows are on multiple platforms anyway and syndication money is big enough to be worth Netflix's time. Theres probably a prior agreement with Fox about it. Though I guess Disney now owns Fox's TV assets. I wonder if they'd be open to more Firefly...

Doc HM Aug 10, 2019 02:28 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep (Post 4408436)
Firefly...
That's almost as bad as invoking Godwins law.

The longer a thread about cancelled TV shows is the more likely it is to end with someone crying for more Firefly.

subego Aug 10, 2019 02:40 PM
Never happening. Joss holds grudges.

Waragainstsleep Aug 10, 2019 08:39 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by subego (Post 4408472)
Never happening. Joss holds grudges.
Against Fox. But Fox is Disney now and he worked with them recently. Doesn't he have a new show coming up too? Who's making that?

andi*pandi Aug 10, 2019 08:59 PM
Joss has been willing, the cast is willing, but Fox owns it. There are new comics now that are pretty good though! I would accept season 2 as animated.

subego Aug 10, 2019 10:18 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep (Post 4408480)
Against Fox. But Fox is Disney now and he worked with them recently. Doesn't he have a new show coming up too? Who's making that?
I kinda feel like Serenity showed something of a grudge against the fans.

andi*pandi Aug 10, 2019 11:16 PM
I never got that feeling. I got the feeling that stakes had to be high and 5 seasons worth of story ideas had to be smooshed into 2 hours.

-555 Boston Battalion

subego Aug 11, 2019 12:56 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by andi*pandi (Post 4408485)
had to be smooshed
They didn’t have to be. He did it that way because he hates me.

P Aug 11, 2019 05:16 AM
Serenity is written like the last five or so episodes of a season. Joss has said that he would not have killed Wash if it were an ongoing series, but other than that, it would have happened as it did. It is like one of those episodes that close the book on part of the story, to make the next season go somewhere new.

And I don’t think it ever comes back. Serenity was never very popular, because Firefly didn’t have a chance to build a fan base. There is little chance now to do that. Anyway, Joss is finally doing something new (a new series for HBO called The Nevers). We’ll see how that is.

Thorzdad Aug 11, 2019 07:38 AM
I'd watch the hell out of a Jouneys of Shepherd Book series.

Waragainstsleep Aug 11, 2019 09:33 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by P (Post 4408488)
Serenity is written like the last five or so episodes of a season. Joss has said that he would not have killed Wash if it were an ongoing series, but other than that, it would have happened as it did. It is like one of those episodes that close the book on part of the story, to make the next season go somewhere new.

And I don’t think it ever comes back. Serenity was never very popular, because Firefly didn’t have a chance to build a fan base. There is little chance now to do that. Anyway, Joss is finally doing something new (a new series for HBO called The Nevers). We’ll see how that is.
It has a pretty massive following now. I read that Serenity was going to be two or three films but Alan Tudyk wasn't available for a second one so they had to kill him off. No idea how true that is.

I figure one day, feasibly in my lifetime the tech will exist to say "Hey Siri, make me a steampunk comedy TV show starring a 25 year old Marilyn Monroe and a teenaged Clint Eastwood and a 94 year old Miley Cyrus about 3 people who live in a bunker with a robot pineapple voiced by William Shatner in post apocalyptic Fiji." And Siri will be able to generate it, photorealistic and stream it within a few minutes. Likewise, "Hey Siri, make me seasons 2 through 99 of Firely" will also work.
Might not be available on the iPhone 33 but the studios will be able to do it within a decade or two I reckon. Just look at the quality of some of these deepfakes.

subego Aug 11, 2019 03:47 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep (Post 4408493)
"Hey Siri, make me seasons 2 through 99 of Firely"
“Searching the web for too threw”

andi*pandi Sep 16, 2020 10:08 PM
Hey, I ran out of other amazon things to watch so finally gave the Expanse another shot. This time I did not fall asleep during the quiet space scenes and made it to the interesting characters, unique mystery, etc. Still on season 1 though.

OreoCookie Sep 16, 2020 11:16 PM
@Andy :thumbsup:
I can't wait for the next season, the characters are great. Wait until you meet Bobby “Gunny” Draper.

Another recommendation, from Apple+ no less: Ted Lasso. Sooooo good. I'm not interested in watching sports, and the premise sounds like a setup for slapstick comedy. Trust me, it's not.

Waragainstsleep Sep 17, 2020 07:11 AM
I'm enjoying Ted as well.

The Boys on Amazon is great but its dark and violent. Theres some colourful language too.

I'm watching The Outpost. Its a little cheesy but its fun.

Doc HM Sep 17, 2020 10:14 AM
The Boys season 2 is as good as Season 1. Who knew The Deep could top his dolphin escapade so immensely! Classic.

Butcher continues to er butcher the English language but I can roll with it now. How much do I already hate Stormfront, and could Homelander get any more creepy?

Immediately hooked on Cobra Kai on the 'flix. Who knew we needed an update to Karate Kid. Really really well written characters especially Johnny Lawrence. A properly sympathetic looser.

Also, catch Rust Valley Restorations. Usually not big on US reality car shows but a) Canadian and b) Mike Hall and c) AVERY SHOAF!!

Laminar Nov 20, 2020 07:29 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by OreoCookie (Post 4415298)
Another recommendation, from Apple+ no less: Ted Lasso. Sooooo good. I'm not interested in watching sports, and the premise sounds like a setup for slapstick comedy. Trust me, it's not.
Finally added the wife's account to our AppleTV to take advantage of the free year of ATV+ we got when we bought her iPhone. Ted Lasso is the content we need right now, it's so wholesome. Though I am interested to hear what actual Brits think of it. The premise of a bumbling, plucky, eternally optimistic American softening the hearts of a bunch of cynical, crude, stereotypical Brits seems...offensive? We're only a few episodes in, no spoilers.

andi*pandi Nov 20, 2020 11:30 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by OreoCookie (Post 4415298)
@Andy :thumbsup:
I can't wait for the next season, the characters are great. Wait until you meet Bobby “Gunny” Draper.

I liked Gunny a lot! although season 4 seemed a bit cold. It will be interesting to see where they take the next season with some of the plotlines wrapped up. Ooh, well it looks good!

Right now I'm paying for netflix, amazon, hulu, and disney+. Do I need appletv too?!?!? Ted Lasso sounds good.

I gave Killing Eve a try and it is excellent... but the latest season is just a little too down.
I tried Last Man on Earth but it was a) a little on the nose, and b) cringey type humor.

Laminar Nov 20, 2020 11:38 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by andi*pandi (Post 4416745)
Right now I'm paying for netflix, amazon, hulu, and disney+. Do I need appletv too?!?!? Ted Lasso sounds good.
"A $100 cable bill is atrocious! I demand à la carte services!"

"I have Netflix, Hulu, D+, ATV+, ESPN+, Amazon Prime, YouTube TV, and Peacock and it only costs me $120/month!"

andi*pandi Nov 20, 2020 12:43 PM
Silly me is still paying for verizon cable too!

Laminar Nov 20, 2020 01:18 PM
Well in reality we bundled Hulu/D+/ESPN+ since it was cheaper than just getting Disney+ and we already had Hulu. We keep threatening to cancel Amazon Prime since they keep pulling music from the general library and putting it behind the "Unlimited" velvet rope. But every year I chicken out and keep subscribing for that sweet, sweet 2 day shipping. Add Netflix to that and we're paying $40/month total for TV services, plus $85/month for the internet to watch them with.

ShortcutToMoncton Nov 20, 2020 03:16 PM
Exactly. The entire services a la carte is a consumer disaster. If only there was a single-box solution where I could pay one provider to deliver my content.

Waragainstsleep Nov 20, 2020 06:30 PM
I really enjoyed Ted Lasso.
I don't know why anyone thought paying ten providers would be better than paying one.
I also don't know why Disney were so savage with their Netflix Marvel shows. Its not like they can go that dark on D+. They were good shows.

OreoCookie Nov 20, 2020 11:52 PM
I liked Gunny a lot! although season 4 seemed a bit cold.
Yes, and it felt a bit like an entirely different TV series. But still a very enjoyable one.
It will be interesting to see where they take the next season with some of the plotlines wrapped up. Ooh, well it looks good!
Can’t wait.
Do I need appletv too?!?!? Ted Lasso sounds good.
Ted Lasso is a-freaking-mazing. You could subscribe for a month, binge watch it (which you will, trust me) and then unsubscribe. We got Apple TV+ for free for a year since my wife bought an iPhone 11 last January.

OreoCookie Nov 21, 2020 05:57 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Laminar (Post 4416740)
Though I am interested to hear what actual Brits think of it. The premise of a bumbling, plucky, eternally optimistic American softening the hearts of a bunch of cynical, crude, stereotypical Brits seems...offensive? We're only a few episodes in, no spoilers.
I wonder about this, too.
What speaks against it (from a neutral third-country perspective) is that all characters are given some depth, even the ones you may dislike in the beginning. The charity dinner episode is great, you really feel for the new team owner, I could feel my heart breaking a little for her. (I’m being vague to avoid any spoilers.) You understand why Jamie Tart is the way he is, and the tiny plot twist in the last episode in that respect was great.

The humorous (or should I write humourous?) take on the British characters is balanced out by the the ridiculousness of the premise of an American football coach/manager taking over a Premier League team. And Ted Lasso admits this directly in the first episode.

Waragainstsleep Nov 21, 2020 07:59 AM
Was Ted Lasso originally an SNL skit or something? The TV show seems to be loosely based on a TV ad where he was made manager of Tottenham Hotspur.

Doc HM Nov 21, 2020 08:38 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton (Post 4416752)
Exactly. The entire services a la carte is a consumer disaster. If only there was a single-box solution where I could pay one provider to deliver my content.
Micro payments per view would be a way through the maze I guess. An amount that generates realistic revenue but is also small enough that it goes underneath peoples "how much?" radar.

Won't happen of course as the mind set is Lock 'em in and take the monthly payment.

P Nov 23, 2020 06:10 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep (Post 4416788)
Was Ted Lasso originally an SNL skit or something? The TV show seems to be loosely based on a TV ad where he was made manager of Tottenham Hotspur.
The character is from an old NBC ad, yes.

andi*pandi Dec 4, 2020 07:14 PM
We are enjoying season 2 of the Mandalorian. Timothy Olyphant playing a smalltown sheriff? Sign me up!

That said...

After the last ep we watched (passenger) we decided the child was actually the villain.

Thorzdad Dec 4, 2020 07:24 PM
The second season of The Mandalorian is thick with fan service, in the best way. And, yeah, Timothy Olyphant playing “Raylan Givens in space” was an inspired bit of casting.

Laminar Dec 5, 2020 03:19 PM
The Mandalorian Season 2: Baby Yoda Reaction GIF Generator.