MacNN Forums (https://forums.macnn.com/index.php)
-   MacNN Lounge (https://forums.macnn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   TV Serieseseseses (https://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=510877)

ShortcutToMoncton Jun 22, 2014 10:02 PM
Rectify. Check it out.

ajprice Jun 23, 2014 10:18 AM
Watched Fargo ep10 lastnight, are we still spoilering things now that the series has ended?
One way they could go if there is a series 2 is to pick up on the references to Sioux Falls in 1979.

One thing I've found out about the names on the tapes in Lorne Malvo's briefcase...

akent35 Jun 23, 2014 01:56 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by ajprice (Post 4281454)
Watched Fargo ep10 lastnight, are we still spoilering things now that the series has ended?
One way they could go if there is a series 2 is to pick up on the references to Sioux Falls in 1979.

One thing I've found out about the names on the tapes in Lorne Malvo's briefcase...

Interesting about the names on the tapes. Thanks for that. When I clicked the link "inside" the spoiler alert, and then clicked other, further links, I learned some more fascinating things about the various characters.

I also don't know how much longer spoilers will be necessary, as I have some thoughts about the series and movie not being that "similar", given all the significant differences. But, maybe that's for another day.

Going to miss it! As of now, no announcement of a Season 2.

mattyb Jun 24, 2014 05:49 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by andi*pandi (Post 4281409)
Season 2 Longmire is a nice refreshing change of pace from the other tv I've been watching. I started season 2 orange is the new black, and took a break with Longmire... I think I'm enjoying it more.
Its completely different to any other 'crime drama', very low-tech, Indian mix, plus the history of his wife. I'll wait until S3 is finished to start watching again.

ShortcutToMoncton Jun 24, 2014 09:25 AM
I finished season 1 of Rectify last night (it was only 6 episodes and with all my other shows finished, only took a week). Wow...super interesting show, very good first season.

Apparently season 2 started Sunday night so it just so happened to be perfect timing.

Still have not made it back to Fargo unfortunately...it may be one of those shows that I will have to work my way back around to down the road.

abbaZaba Jun 24, 2014 12:11 PM
I just housed all 13 episodes of S01 Orange Is The New Black. I have not done anything like that in a very long time. Quite engrossing.

akent35 Jun 24, 2014 01:03 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton (Post 4281600)
I finished season 1 of Rectify last night (it was only 6 episodes and with all my other shows finished, only took a week). Wow...super interesting show, very good first season.

Apparently season 2 started Sunday night so it just so happened to be perfect timing.

Still have not made it back to Fargo unfortunately...it may be one of those shows that I will have to work my way back around to down the road.
Starting last Friday, and until the Fargo series finale on Tuesday, I also kind of did something similar. I re-watched the first 5 episodes through Sunday, then watched the original movie, and finished the last 4 episodes of the season by 8 PM Tuesday evening, 2 hours before the season finale. All of that got me well prepared for the finale.

Even though the ending of the movie was revealing, it was different enough that it did not spoil the ending for me in the season finale. As I mentioned previously, there are too many significant differences between the movie and the series.

Tonight, I'll watch the series premiere of Tyrant, on FX, and in the same time slot as Fargo was. Hopefully, it will be good. But, the one I am really looking forward to is the Season 2 premiere of The Bridge, also on FX, starting Wednesday, July 9th, at 10 PM. Season 1 was excellent, well, well done, and the acting was superb! I am truly expecting Season 2 to be as good, just like The Americans and The Following was. (I will also re-watch all of Season 1 of The Bridge, most likely starting tonight. At least I have two weeks to accomplish that).

ShortcutToMoncton Jun 24, 2014 02:16 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by abbaZaba (Post 4281628)
I just housed all 13 episodes of S01 Orange Is The New Black. I have not done anything like that in a very long time. Quite engrossing.
Season 2 was also excellent. That show is a treat.

akent35 Jun 24, 2014 08:31 PM
Well, I just finished watching the first 4 episodes of the first season of Justified, and while it is good, so far, at least to me, it is not as "catching" as either Fargo, nor seasons 1 of The Following, The Americans, and The Bridge. Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying it so far. I am just hoping it gets better. Timothy Olyphant is quite good as the "Cowboy" US Marshall, Raylan Givens.

I will keep watching. I'm curious, though, if Season 2, Season 3, etc. are better.

andi*pandi Jun 24, 2014 08:57 PM
You will not regret it.

ShortcutToMoncton Jun 24, 2014 09:09 PM
i've watched all of Justified. I can't say that it's a great show and it's prone to silliness, but it's certainly enjoyable when it gets going.

akent35 Jun 25, 2014 12:51 PM
Well, I watched the Season premiere of Tyrant on FX, and so far, it's good. However, just like Justified, it did not "catch me" as well as the premieres of Fargo, The Americans, The Bridge, and The Following. It does, though, have quite a few good points. I will watch it again next week.

Did also watch Episodes 5 and 6 of Season 1 of Justified, and it is getting more interesting. I am going to continue watching it, although I also have to re-watch Season 1 of The Bridge prior to the Season 2 premiere two weeks from tonight. For Season 2, according to what I read in the new TV Guide issue, Season 2 will be, in some respects, rather different than Season 1. Those differences, though, will be revealing, and also intriguing. Can't wait!

P Jun 28, 2014 03:02 PM
IMHO, Justified always ends its seasons well, but it can get silly in the middle. Season 2 is the best, simply because it has the best villains.

akent35 Jun 28, 2014 04:04 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by P (Post 4282152)
IMHO, Justified always ends its seasons well, but it can get silly in the middle. Season 2 is the best, simply because it has the best villains.
Thanks for that. I have not watched any since the other day, finishing Episode 6 of Season 1. But, so far I am liking it better and better. I'm also looking forward to see the role Marge Martindale plays. She is fabulous as Claudia in her (brief) appearances in The Americans. I see where she won an Emmy Award and a Critics' Choice Television Award for her recurring role as Mags Bennett on Justified, and in 2013, she was nominated for an Emmy Award for her recurring role as Claudia on The Americans. Good for her!

However, and more importantly, I have to finish re-watching all of season 1 of The Bridge, so that I am fully prepared for the Season 2 premiere on Wednesday, July 9th. Yesterday, we had a short (less than 2 hours) power outage, and prior to my wife coming back from her walk, I started re-watching the first episode on my Mac Book Air. Glad I did, as I missed some subtle things. But, I could only watch 20 minutes of it, as we went out for most of the day. Will try and continue it today (but we're going out again later, after dinner).

Doc HM Jun 28, 2014 04:36 PM
Meanwhile... in the UK.

Dr Who is back on the 23rd August with a feature length intro to the new doctor.

VERY excited.

P Jun 29, 2014 09:22 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by akent35 (Post 4282157)
I'm also looking forward to see the role Marge Martindale plays.
That was the villain I was referring to, yes. Excellent.

Waragainstsleep Jun 29, 2014 09:42 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Doc HM (Post 4282159)
Meanwhile... in the UK.

Dr Who is back on the 23rd August with a feature length intro to the new doctor.

VERY excited.
Its about time. ;)

akent35 Jun 29, 2014 01:53 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by P (Post 4282178)
That was the villain I was referring to, yes. Excellent.
Super! Her ruthless role in The Americans is well done, and Philip and Elizabeth despise her. And, that hatred is bound to get worse, given what she told them about their daughter in the Season 2 finale. I'm betting she is even better in Justified.

akent35 Jul 2, 2014 11:28 AM
It looks like the new FX series Tyrant could be a winner. Last night's episode was done real well, with plenty of new developments. I would recommend it.

Starting next week, I'll have two consecutive nights of series to watch: Episode 3 of Tyrant on Tuesday, and the Season 2 premiere of The Bridge the following night. Not sure, though, if I'll watch the season premiere of The Strain on Sunday, July 13th. But, at least my late Tuesday and Wednesday evenings will be enjoyable.

mattyb Jul 2, 2014 12:10 PM
P l e a s e, put spoiler tags around stuff like this : And, that hatred is bound to get worse, given what she told them about their daughter in the Season 2 finale

akent35 Jul 2, 2014 12:27 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by mattyb (Post 4282616)
P l e a s e, put spoiler tags around stuff like this : And, that hatred is bound to get worse, given what she told them about their daughter in the Season 2 finale
OK, you stated your request in a mature manner. Just make sure you warn others the same way, when they need spoiler tags.

ShortcutToMoncton Jul 7, 2014 07:47 AM
Well I gave episode 1 of Fargo another chance and finished it off, and it was clear I'd been put off too soon. Watched E2 last night and very happy so far.

akent35 Jul 7, 2014 11:39 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton (Post 4282951)
Well I gave episode 1 of Fargo another chance and finished it off, and it was clear I'd been put off too soon. Watched E2 last night and very happy so far.
Glad to hear you like it. It only gets better and better!

Fortunately, the new FX series that started after Fargo ended, Tyrant, is also quite good. I'm looking forward to Episode 3 tomorrow night. Then, Wednesday night will be the season 2 premiere of The Bridge. Can't wait for that one!

ajprice Jul 7, 2014 04:50 PM
Currently watching episode 1 of The 100...

Pretty people, unintentionally funny, might be so bad it's good, might be Under The Dome all over again

Waragainstsleep Jul 7, 2014 06:04 PM
I've been burning through The 100 too. Episode 7 nearly done. So far so good. I recognise Clark from Neighbours.

Face Ache Jul 7, 2014 07:14 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep (Post 4283044)
I recognise Clark from Neighbours.
The Australian soap? Good grief, man! Avert your eyes!

andi*pandi Jul 7, 2014 08:53 PM
Done with Orange is the new Black, season 2. Very good, though not as good as season 1.

ShortcutToMoncton Jul 8, 2014 07:42 AM
Yeah, I thought it was awesome. Didn't quite have the cliffhanger of S1 but I thought some of the character development stuff was even better. Personally, it was equally as good. What a great job on just a super-different show.

Waragainstsleep Jul 8, 2014 02:39 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Face Ache (Post 4283051)
The Australian soap? Good grief, man! Avert your eyes!
Yes. Haven't watched it in years now though. Actually two of the girls in The 100 were in Neighbours. The other you'll recognise from Dollhouse as well.

akent35 Jul 9, 2014 01:48 PM
Watched E3 of Tyrant last night, and it is getting better. Real interesting twist on family commitments, that's for sure!

Looking forward to this evening, with the Season 2 premiere of The Bridge. I just got done re-watching all of Season 1, so I am ready!

My next "project" is to continue watching Justified. I am still in Season 1, with E7 being the next one for me to view.

akent35 Jul 10, 2014 04:08 AM
Well, as expected, the Season 2 Premiere of The Bridge was real good. Some new characters and relationship "twists" are going to make for an interesting season.

For Tyrant, just like Fargo, only 10 episodes were produced for Season 1. With 3 of them already completed, that means I have only 7 more Tuesday evenings to enjoy. But, The Bridge will have 13 episodes this season, so my next 12 Wednesdays will be good.

Finally, I'm starting to lean more and more towards watching The Strain on FX, starting this Sunday. It has already got some good reviews, and the ads on FX look interesting.

ShortcutToMoncton Jul 10, 2014 07:22 AM
I'm not going to bother with Tyrant - I was too busy to start watching it from the start, and I have not heard much beyond mediocre reviews.

Glad to see The Bridge is leaving the stupid Evil Superbad Genius plot and heading more into the murkier border aspect. Great decision, as that entire plot was completely boring.

akent35 Jul 10, 2014 12:04 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton (Post 4283357)
I'm not going to bother with Tyrant - I was too busy to start watching it from the start, and I have not heard much beyond mediocre reviews.
I've seen a mixture of good, average, and poor reviews. But, so far it has my interest. I will say, though, that E3 started off in a "not too exciting" way for me, but the last half was good.

Quote, Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton (Post 4283357)
Glad to see The Bridge is leaving the stupid Evil Superbad Genius plot and heading more into the murkier border aspect. Great decision, as that entire plot was completely boring.
I guess since I have enjoyed Seasons 1 & 2 of The Following, that part of Season 1's plot captured my interest. Part of that, of course, is the acting was (and continues to be) superb. But yeah, season 2 is looking good so far.

ShortcutToMoncton Jul 10, 2014 02:38 PM
Yeah, was not impressed by the Following either. :p

Evil Geniuses are ultimately boring plot lines in my opinion - usually highly implausible and almost always lead to over-gratuitous plot theatrics. Both of which plagued The Bridge up until the last few episodes (I mean...assuming you did think about how he

:p).

ShortcutToMoncton Jul 10, 2014 03:07 PM
Finished off Fargo this morning. I thought it ended pretty well - similar tone to the movie. I generally prefer more ambiguity myself, but I enjoyed it. Also agree that the Stavros plot line was the only significant missed opportunity of the show.

It is a one-season show - like True Detective - there is no need to set up events or characters for a subsequent season.

akent35 Jul 10, 2014 03:13 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton (Post 4283432)
Yeah, was not impressed by the Following either. :p

Evil Geniuses are ultimately boring plot lines in my opinion - usually highly implausible and almost always lead to over-gratuitous plot theatrics. Both of which plagued The Bridge up until the last few episodes (I mean...assuming you did think about how he

:p).
I think it's just the opposite. That "Evil Superbad Genius" storyline (and character) had a number of previous connections with two of the main characters:

As for how he:

Yeah, maybe somewhat far fetched, but hey, quite a few shows do far fetched things too.

ShortcutToMoncton Jul 10, 2014 03:21 PM
Well I know there was a connection to the Evil Dude - it was simply highly implausible and boring. Those connections were shoehorned in to justify spending over half a season chasing some mysterious Super-Evil character who had mysteriously superhuman timing and seemingly knew what everyone would do....when the actual interesting parts of the show were elsewhere.

ShortcutToMoncton Jul 10, 2014 03:22 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by akent35 (Post 4283436)
Yeah, maybe somewhat far fetched, but hey, quite a few shows do far fetched things too.
Yes...which is why most television shows are pretty mediocre/bad. :p

akent35 Jul 10, 2014 07:37 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton (Post 4283437)
Well I know there was a connection to the Evil Dude - it was simply highly implausible and boring. Those connections were shoehorned in to justify spending over half a season chasing some mysterious Super-Evil character who had mysteriously superhuman timing and seemingly knew what everyone would do....when the actual interesting parts of the show were elsewhere.
Actually, as I mentioned above, there were at least two characters connected to the "Evil Dude" (and that involved two separate stories). Also, I thought when the connections were finally revealed, they made the show more interesting.

Again, about the only thing about the "Evil Dude" was the far fetched business you mentioned earlier (via a spoiler). I just felt his presence enhanced the series.

akent35 Jul 10, 2014 07:40 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton (Post 4283438)
Yes...which is why most television shows are pretty mediocre/bad. :p
I would not say most. Three prime examples (besides The Bridge) are Fargo, Breaking Bad, and Justified. I watched all of Fargo, and am into season 1 of Justified. I have heard so many positive things about Breaking Bad that I will have to watch it. But, all 3 of those (plus, most likely, quite a few other outstanding shows/series) have had some far fetched parts to them, yet they were still outstanding.