MacNN Forums (https://forums.macnn.com/index.php)
-   MacNN Lounge (https://forums.macnn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   TV Serieseseseses (https://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=510877)

andi*pandi Jul 4, 2023 01:05 PM
is it a show where people are actually trying to make a cake, unlike Cake Wrecks?

Thorzdad Jul 5, 2023 08:08 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by andi*pandi (Post 4430622)
is it a show where people are actually trying to make a cake, unlike Cake Wrecks?
Yes. The point is to make a cake that looks like a non-cake object, like a boot or a bowl of nachos, and to fool the b-list celebrity judges. Each episode has a different theme that informs what sort of objects the bakers will be trying to mimic.

All the contestants are professional cake-makers, and very nice and supportive of each other, which makes the show pretty easy and fun to watch. There’s no conflict or drama getting in the way.

The first season was a little rough, production-wise. I think they were trying to find the show’s footing. This second season is far better.

subego Jul 14, 2023 12:53 PM
Started Succession.

Was not expecting Arrested Development 2.

andi*pandi Jul 14, 2023 09:00 PM
Is it cake: nice and light, but ultimately feels like wasting time. A good show for folding socks or doing other chores during.

Succession: gets a little darker, my friend.

subego Jul 15, 2023 05:20 PM
I’m figuring. :)

I guess I wasn’t expecting it to make such extensive use of the same strain of comedy.

andi*pandi Jul 15, 2023 08:06 PM
Blacklist Finale. It's over. That's all I can say. It was kind of lame.

This whole season I was expecting some wrapup.

If you are just starting this show, I recommend stopping at season 8. The earlier seasons are great fun.

Thorzdad Jul 16, 2023 07:45 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by andi*pandi (Post 4430779)
Is it cake: nice and light, but ultimately feels like wasting time. A good show for folding socks or doing other chores during.
I don’t disagree. But, I have a soft spot for shows I can watch while folding clothes. Never underestimate the value of wasting time.

Waragainstsleep Jul 20, 2023 04:32 AM
Has anyone seen the show From?

Its pretty good. Under the Dome vibes with bags of mystery. Much more gory though. The sets, rather than the action.

Doc HM Jul 21, 2023 01:03 PM
ITV 4 (pretty niche even over here, FINALLY gets the 2019 season of Battlebots. Heaven, if your idea of heaven is metal crabs smashing the crapola out of each other, which luckily mine pretty much is. Let's hope they carry on with newer seasons pretty quickly.

Silo: 7/10: Working through trying to guess the outcome. I guess we won't find out everything since season 2 has been green lit.

Shrinking: 7/10:Fine. Sort of a lightweight version of Ricky Gervais's show about the same thing with a LOT less angst and dead drug addicts. Harrison Ford owns the whole show totally.

andi*pandi Jul 21, 2023 01:42 PM
aw, battlebots. Used to like watching the old one.

Last night convinced the SO to try Black Mirror. Late to the game. I only knew it had great reviews and was weird. Well it was weird enough that he actually liked it. So we have 6 seasons of that on our list now. :)

subego Jul 21, 2023 02:19 PM
I tried that with my dad, and decided to go the route where we picked one from a list of (supposedly) the best episodes.

The list I chose put the one with dating service in the top slot. It was interesting, but too long, and I felt left alone some of the darker implications of the twist.

ShortcutToMoncton Jul 21, 2023 08:41 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Doc HM (Post 4430893)
Silo: 7/10: Working through trying to guess the outcome. I guess we won't find out everything since season 2 has been green lit.
Interested to see what you think once you finish S1.

Thorzdad Jul 22, 2023 08:07 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by andi*pandi (Post 4430894)
Last night convinced the SO to try Black Mirror. Late to the game. I only knew it had great reviews and was weird. Well it was weird enough that he actually liked it. So we have 6 seasons of that on our list now. :)
I’ve dropped into Black Mirror off and on over the years, and I can only manage to last a couple of episodes before it get too uncomfortable, and I like semi-dystopian sci-fi.

subego Jul 23, 2023 11:45 AM
Saw The Real World reunions. Halfway decent nostalgia hate-watching I guess. No SF or Chicago tho.

subego Jul 27, 2023 01:14 AM
Halfway through S2 of Succession. Not as good as S1. Kinda silly.

andi*pandi Jul 27, 2023 12:25 PM
New futurama: first episode very meta. Funny, yes. Interested to see how other episodes might be once all the callbacks are out of their system.

Laminar Jul 27, 2023 01:24 PM
Watched it last night, my son saw it and said, "Oh is this the Fortnite thing?"

I've never been a Futurama superfan, though I did see the first episode when it premiered, which was just a couple of months after Family Guy first premiered, speaking of shows that Fox killed multiple times but keep coming back...

It was...fine? Maybe a chuckle or two. But Futurama was never really for me.

subego Jul 29, 2023 12:45 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by subego (Post 4430969)
Halfway through S2 of Succession. Not as good as S1. Kinda silly.
Finished the season tonight. Inferior to the first overall. Good finale though. Had me going.

ShortcutToMoncton Jul 29, 2023 10:55 AM
Uphill from here imo…..

ShortcutToMoncton Jul 31, 2023 10:00 PM
A soundtrack to get you hyped for season 3…..

subego Jul 31, 2023 11:36 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton (Post 4431054)
A soundtrack to get you hyped for season 3…..
I already bought a copy of the theme, which I feel like it’s trying to be “Gangsta’s Paradise” minus the rap. I love the title sequence too, though I think the first season’s the best.

andi*pandi Aug 1, 2023 02:05 PM
that piano background can make work seem more exciting.

subego Aug 4, 2023 02:06 AM
As someone who has had urinary tract infections drive him ”piss mad”, and retains some residual skepticism he was the crazy one, I think it was good for my dad to see it happen to Logan Roy.

subego Aug 4, 2023 02:41 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by subego (Post 4431056)
I love the title sequence too
Though I should mention I don’t feel the ages match up. The home movies are aesthetically 70s when they should be 80s. Most of that could be handwaved away as matter of taste, but not the tennis racket. In the 80s, unfathomably rich people obsessed with winning used the oversized kind.

ShortcutToMoncton Aug 4, 2023 08:48 AM
Counterpoint: many tennis players continue to use the racquets they learned on and are comfortable with. They often don’t adopt newer model trends because it often involves changing your playing style to some degree.

subego Aug 4, 2023 12:56 PM
When I played in the 80s, I never saw anyone use a wooden racket.

andi*pandi Aug 4, 2023 01:36 PM
I recall a certain snobbery about the new rackets. That anyone could hit anything with them.

subego Aug 4, 2023 02:03 PM
Not very “go for the jugular”.

Thorzdad Aug 5, 2023 08:08 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by andi*pandi (Post 4431095)
I recall a certain snobbery about the new rackets. That anyone could hit anything with them.
Kind of like when oversized drivers came on the golf market. Some of those things got be cartoonishly big.

subego Aug 8, 2023 03:06 AM
Finished out S3 of Succession. Liked it more than the second, but not the powerhouse of the first. Kind of a slow burn which doesn’t really pay off until the last two episodes. Excellent setup for the final season.

Spheric Harlot Aug 8, 2023 06:07 AM
Was so stoked for the second season of “Foundation”. Watched the first episode last night and almost want to stop watching. Stupid underwater “omg we made it just in time why the fuck is a huge circuit breaker the computer reboot switch” action stunts and cryptic maths mysticism do not mix with one another, let alone with the legacy of one Isaac Asimov. Nor does looking at cute virtual ribbons showing exactly what the path of psychohistory is in red. I mean, sheesh.

Season one was good enough to give them the benefit of the doubt, but boy…

OreoCookie Aug 8, 2023 04:42 PM
Noooo! Spheric, I just hope you are wrong. I haven't had time to watch it yet, but your words aren't very encouraging …

Spheric Harlot Aug 8, 2023 05:10 PM
Episode 2 tonight.

Slightly less horrific.
Feels like they've turned it into an action series, more along the Star Wars-attention span.

Though as of Ep 2, we're gently getting back into the heady, abstract stuff.

Gently optimistic that Ep 3 won't put me off the series entirely.

dav Aug 9, 2023 08:00 AM
Started watching, The Detectorists. Only about 5 episodes in, but I'm recommending it.

andi*pandi Aug 9, 2023 10:59 AM
Season 3 of Only Murders in the Building is out folks. :D

Laminar Aug 9, 2023 01:54 PM

subego Aug 12, 2023 10:21 PM
Started S4 of Succession.

Well, that was a surprise. I still don’t quite believe it.

ShortcutToMoncton Aug 12, 2023 11:14 PM
Hah

subego Aug 14, 2023 01:58 AM
Half an episode left.

I like the season a lot, but that penultimate episode was a slog.

subego Aug 15, 2023 10:13 PM
Officially finished. Decent, but abrupt ending.

I’m going to miss it. I wouldn’t have minded 10 more hours.

Now we’re watching Disraeli the Romantic, which I remember from Masterpiece Theatre when I was, like, 10. Too sophisticated for me back then, so I’m glad to loop back around. It’s got many of the usual issues with 40-year-old British television. It’s not very dynamic. It does have great costumes tho.

Ian McShane plays Disraeli, and Ian he McShanes-up the place.